NOTE: The L2 Knit Lab is open to students with machine knitting experience. Students can check out machine knitting kits from the Tool Check-Out (Dubied Kits are only available during Technician hours. Please see technician for access).
The L2 Knit Lab is located on the 2nd floor within the L Building at 2 W 13th Street.
The lab is equipped with:
- 2 Double Bed Silver Reed Standard gg Knitting Machines
- 2 Single Bed Brother Standard gg Knitting Machines
- 1 Dubied Knitting Machine 4.5 gg
- 1 Shima Seiki SRY183LPSV7 7 gg digital Knitting Machine (flat bed)
- 1 Shima Seiki SWG091N2 10gg Digital Knitting Machine (Small Whole Garment)
- 2 Shima Seiki SDS One Apex Computer Systems
- 1 Yarn Cone Winder
- 3 Hauge Linkers
Students are encouraged to use their own knitting tools as well as knitting tool kits are available for checkout in the Tool Check-out. Some donated yarn is available, but generally, yarn is not provided. At the present moment the lab does not provide Silver Reed/ Brother/ Dubied Knitting Machine workshops. These machines can be used by students with previous knitting experience or by Faculty lead demos.
The Shima Seiki digital knitting machines are complex tools that require a multi step process to access. Currently these machines are available to Graduate Students and Senior Thesis Students. A required orientation is needed to submit a Project Proposal and we do not guarantee every proposal will be accepted. Once a proposal is accepted, a consultation is scheduled. Consultations allow the student to work directly with the Technician, assessing how to develop a knitted outcome.