Academic Year 2020-21 Update
This facility will be submission-based only until further notice. Students who have gone through orientation and who are authorized for access may submit work digitally to be produced for pick-up.
For spring semester orientation information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Remote Help Desk
For new or returning students without existing authorization and/or interested in DIY Making, we offer our Digital Tools Help Desk to address any questions, concerns, and advice.
Help Desk is Live! Help Desk offers open Zoom hours for any student wishing to drop in with questions related to Digital Tools shops and/or DIY Making.
Help Desk Hours are:
Monday: 3-6pm, Tuesday: 9Am-12pm and 3pm-9pm, Wednesday: 9am-2pm,
Thursday: 9am-3pm, Friday: 5-8pm, Saturday: Closed, Sunday: 11-7pm.
All authorized students intending to use shop resources MUST first schedule a Technician Consultation. During your consultation, the Technician will ask you questions about your project, discuss any material needs and related costs, and work with you to fill out this submission form.
Please confirm your purchase from the Material Store with the technician during your virtual consultation.
Project Submission Queue
Projects are processed in the order they are received. Please check the log below for current status.
Color Code Reference:
About the Laser Lab
The Laser Cutting Lab consists of multiple laser cutters that can be used to cut and engrave a variety of materials.
THE BELOW INFORMATION DOES NOT APPLY IN FALL 2020
After completing an orientation, to use our Laser Cutters, you must make a consultation through the WebCheckout Patron Portal. A consultation is a 30 minute meeting where we will review your file and materials, before scheduling your time to use the machines:
- You cannot make a consultation without having taken an orientation first.
- You must have a finished file as well as all materials you plan to cut when attending a consultation.
- Consultations do not guarantee immediate use of the laser cutters. You will either have to wait until a machine is free or until your scheduled use time.
- There are no walk-in spots. You must be on the schedule.
The Laser Lab cannot facilitate class orientations.
Always read the Laser Lab approved materials list before using the Laser Lab or laser cutters.
Note: We are no longer cutting through 1/4 plywood. Engraving is ok.
FILE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- Do not use the “add attachment button on web checkout/Patron portal. Email us your file at email@example.com
- If using the newest version of Illustrator (version 24), please save your file in a ‘legacy’ version: (File > Save As > name the file > Save > Version: Illustrator CC (Legacy) > OK)
Students and faculty are required to complete an orientation before using the lab. Working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator or AutoCAD is necessary.
Due to social distancing requirements, there will be limited orientations for Spring 2021. Information about orientation availability will be communicated shortly.
Featured Equipment and Tools
- Universal VLS 4.60 Laser Cutter
- Epilog Laser Fusion M2