This facility will be submissions only until further notice. For the latest and most comprehensive information from The New School, visit https://www.newschool.edu/year-ahead. For the latest from the Making Center, see http://resources.parsons.edu/fall2020.
IMPORTANT FALL 2020 INFORMATION:
Orientations will not be offered in the Fall Semester. Students who were oriented in the past will retain access.
For new or returning students without existing authorization and/or interested in DIY Making, we offer our Digital Tools Help Desk to address any questions, concerns, and advice.
All authorized students intending to use shop resources MUST work with Technician schedule a Technician Consultation. Please also make sure you fill out this form!
Color Code Reference:
THE BELOW INFORMATION DOES NOT APPLY IN FALL 2020
1. DO NOT USE THE “ADD ATTACHMENT” BUTTON ON WEB CHECKOUT/PATRON PORTAL. EMAIL US YOUR FILE AT firstname.lastname@example.org
2. IF USING THE NEWEST VERSION OF ILLUSTRATOR (VERSION 24) PLEASE SAVE YOUR FILE IN A ‘LEGACY’ VERSION (File > Save As > name the file > Save > Version: Illustrator CC (Legacy) > OK)
The Laser Cutting Lab consists of multiple laser cutters that can be used to cut and engrave a variety of materials. Students and faculty are required to complete an orientation before using the lab. Working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator or AutoCAD.
After completing an orientation, to use our Laser Cutters, you must make a consultation through the WebCheckout Patron Portal. A consultation is a 30 minute meeting where we will review your file and materials, before scheduling your time to use the machines:
- You cannot make a consultation without having taken an orientation first.
- You must have a finished file as well as all materials you plan to cut when attending a consultation.
- Consultations do not guarantee immediate use of the laser cutters. You will either have to wait until a machine is free or until your scheduled use time.
- There are no walk-in spots. You must be on the schedule.
The Laser Lab cannot facilitate class orientations.
Always read the Laser Lab approved materials list before using the Laser Lab or laser cutters.