- E4 Metal Shop is CLOSED for the Winter Break. We will re-open on January 21st. See Shop Calendar for Open Task Times
- The E4 Metal Shop will be offline on the evening of Friday 11/15. It will resume normal operations Saturday morning
- The Plasmacam is temporarily Offline. All consultation sessions will be suspended until the Plasmacam System is operational again. For any questions or further details, contact Damien Vera – firstname.lastname@example.org.
This lab is for advanced users.
Only continuing students who already have done orientation can use the shop. Second, third, and fourth year Parsons students, as well as graduate students, will be permitted to use the E4 Metal Shop after training. Students are responsible for understanding all safety protocol and policy of the facility regarding etiquette, approved material use, required safety equipment / PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), and proper equipment use.
The shop is equipped with multiple tools such as belt grinders, MIG welders, Oxy-Acetylene tanks, and a CNC Plasma Cutter, among others. The shop is primarily designed for use of ferrous metals, though we also have a non-ferrous metals area within the shop for finer metal-working and jewelry projects. If you are interested in purchasing materials (Angle Iron, Flat Stock, Sheet Steel, etc.) for use in the shop, please visit the E4 Material Resale Center.
Additional hand tools and accessories are available for loan through the E4 Tool Checkout.
Monday- Friday: 9:00 am -10:00pm*
Saturday- Sunday: 11:00am -7:00pm*
*Midway through the day all operations are stopped for clean-up/reset. End of day cleanup begins at 9:00pm, All students must exit the shop by 9:30pm
- Please wear leather boots. No open toe shoes, heels or sneakers allowed.
- Must wear long jeans (no shorts).
- No synthetic, frays, fur
- All long hair must be tied back.
- All hanging accessories must be removed.
CNC PLASMA CUTTING
CNC Plasma cutting is open to all students. However, students must have taken Metal Shop Orientation to further manipulate the cut metal within the E4 Metal Shop facility. Consultation hours will be Monday to Friday, 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm. During these hours, you can stop by to consult with a technician and decide if CNC Plasma Cutting is right for your project, as well as help process files to be submitted. CNC job submissions can take at least 3 to 4 business days to cut (even longer during mid-terms & finals), so please keep this in mind and be patient when submitting jobs.
The CNC Plasma Cutting queue can be viewed here.
For more information about the CNC Plasma Cam, please read the CNC Plasma Cam File Submission Process document and the CNC Plasma Cam FAQs documents provided.