Welcome to the Specialty Sewing Lab!
We are open by appointment only this fall. Please see below steps to request a reservation.
To use the lab please follow these steps:
- Fill out the brief campus access survey. This will help choose your building, and ensure you are tested.
- Make a Tech Consultation. Look for the flashing red button on the right-hand sidebar
- Request a seat at least 48 hours in advance of coming to campus. After scheduling a tech consultation (or sometimes even during one!), request a seat via getspace.newschool.edu relevant area.
Please reserve additional tools needed for your days on campus via Tool Checkout.
If you are not local please use the consultation button to get a tech’s help or advice regarding off-campus making-based projects.
Thank you for your patience and understanding! Please email us if you have any questions. For the most current updates visit http://resources.parsons.edu/fall2020.
Please note that orientations will not be offered in the Fall 2020 Semester. Students who were oriented in the past will retain access.
How To Resources:
The Juki Plainstitch Basic User Guide goes over how to set up and use a Plainstitch Machine, as well as common sewing issues and how to fix them.
The Thread Buying Guide goes over what thread to use for what purpose.
Threading Diagrams are available for the below machines:
- Straight Stitch Machine (Juki)
- Zig Zag Machine (Consew)
- Serger Machine (Juki)
- Pearl Machine (Juki)
- Overlock Machine (Juki)
- Overlock Threaded as Serger
- Superlock Machine (Juki)
- Coverstitch Machine (Juki)
- 3-Step Machine (Juki)
- Flat Bed Walking Foot Machine (Juki)
- Cylinder Bed Walking Foot Machine (Juki)
- Post Machine (Highlead)
- Edge Skiver (Consew) *orientation required
- Blind Hem (Union Special)
- Bonis Fur A & B
- Double Needle (Juki)
- Merrow Machine
The lab also contains:
- Bernina Red Domestic Machine *in-room use only
- Singer 4411 Domestic Machine *orientation required
- Sonobond Ultrasonic Welder *orientation required
- Picot *orientation required
- Bartack *orientation required
- Heat Press (General)
- 2-needle Chainstitch (Denim Class)
- 3-needle Chainstitch (Denim Class)
- Heat Press (Swarovski Class)
- Fly Press (Swarovski Class)
The below is general information. Please note that this does not reflect the Fall 2020 semester.
The Specialty Sewing Lab, located at 63 Fifth Avenue and is equipped with 25+ machines for garment finishing and special materials construction. All machines are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Machines requiring orientations are noted below. There is no general orientation required to use the Lab.
Free fabric is available in the Specialty Sewing Lab for student projects. Students are welcome to come by anytime during our open hours to swatch the available fabrics. Once you have swatched your desired fabric(s), please submit a request to email@example.com. Please be aware that approvals for this process can take up to 2 business days. Your request should including the following:
- Course Title
- Yardage Required (Up to 5 yards)
- Image/snapshot of Fabric(s) (Needed for each fabric being requested)