Academic Year 2020-21 Update
We are open by appointment only this fall.
Please note that orientations will not be offered in the Fall 2020 Semester. Students who were oriented in the past will retain access (see eligibility and requirements).
Thank you for your patience and understanding! Please email us if you have any questions.
If you are local to NYC and would like to request a space reservation, please follow the building selection and testing steps outlined the access protocol carefully, and schedule a technician consultation using the link below. During your consultation, the technician will speak with you about your project, direct you to the best resources to support your work, and assist you in requesting your space reservation at getspace.newschool.edu.
If you are not local and need remote help, you may schedule a technician consultation for advice regarding off-campus making-based projects.
About the Weaving & Dye Lab
The weaving and dye lab supports the Parsons community in exploring various weaving, felting, natural dyeing, textile and fiber arts techniques.
Available for the 20/21 academic year:
- 1- Threaded 4-harness Schacht floor loom (12″ samplers max)
- 2-Threaded 4-harness floor looms (for Textiles Students Only)
- 2- 8-harness Macombers floor looms
- 8- Unthreaded 4-harness Schacht floor looms (eligible for reservation to those who qualify)
- Warping reel, Warping boards, and bobbin winder
- Umbrella swift and ball winder
- Industrial felting loom
- Carding Station
- Work tables
- Ironing station
- 2- Heat presses
- Sentry Ductless Fume Hood (for particulates)
- Induction Burners
- Dye pots (various sizes)
- Various wet processes small tools
- Plastic buckets for temporary 1-week storage of dyes
- Tool checkout of: carding paddles, drop spindles, peg looms, embroidery hoops, crochet hooks, knitting needles, peg looms w/ tapestry tools, floor loom tools, knives and cutting boards
- Various donated yarns to support student work
Unavailable until further notice:
- TK from Maya
Studios are open to students during Open Task Times OR with faculty during registered class time.
Required Dust Mask
Required Eye Protection