- The E4 Wood Shop, E4 Metal Shop, E4 Tool Checkout, E4 Material Store, and E4 Laser Lab will have adjusted hours Thursday 3/14 due to Fine Art Open Studios, an event on the 4th and 5th floor of 25 East 13th street
- Thursday, March 14
- Open 9am -5pm
- Closed 5pm -10pm
- Thursday, March 14
- Spring Break Hours:
- Mar 18 – Mar 20: Open 1-5pm
- Mar 21- Mar 24: Closed
ORIENTATIONS FOR ACCESS:
There are 2 Tiers of Open Sign up Orientations for Wood Shop machinery and tools. The completion of each Tier gives students access to specific equipment in the E4 Wood Shop and N2 General Shop.
- Tier 1 Orientation covers safe operation of the band saws, drill presses, sanders, and basic hand tools.
- Tier 2 Orientation covers safe operation of the Table Saw, Miter Saw and Panel Saw.
DOCUMENTED COMPLETION OF TIER 1 ORIENTATION IS A PREREQUISITE FOR ENTRY INTO TIER 2 ORIENTATION
You can sign up for the Tier 1 Orientation here
You can sign up for the Tier 2 Orientation here
E4 Wood Shop
The E4 Wood Shop is equipped with sanders, drill presses, jointer, planer, table router, multi router, lathes and various saws. Students are responsible to understand all safety protocol and policy of the facility regarding etiquette, approved material use, required safety equipment / PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and proper equipment use. The wood shop is staffed with technicians and student technical assistants during all open hours to provide instructional support.
Additional hand tools and accessories are available for loan through the E4 Tool Checkout. If you would like to purchase materials to use in the Wood Shop, such as Plywood or Trupan, please visit the E4 Material Resale Center.
- No open toe shoes or heels allowed.
- No loose clothing.
- All long hair must be tied back.
- All hanging accessories must be removed.
Before purchasing any materials not on the E4 Wood Shop Approved Materials list, get a MSDS sheet for the material. The needed MSDS sheets contain important information about handling, storage, safety needs and disposal of the material. Check the manufacturer or producer’s website for the MSDS sheet for your material or ask at the register before the purchase. The official MSDS website may also have the needed MSDS sheets for your material as well.
Any material not on our list must be approved by the E4 Facilities Manager before it may be used in the facilities. The E4 Wood Shop staff reserve the right to refuse services if your materials do not comply with the Making Center’s safety standards.
You may purchase pre-approved materials from our Making Center Material Store.