Academic Year 2020-21 Update
We are open by appointment only this Spring.
Due to social distancing requirements, there will be limited orientations for Spring 2021. Information about orientation availability will be communicated shortly.
Students who were oriented in the past will retain access (see eligibility and requirements).
Thank you for your patience and understanding! Please email us if you have any questions.
If you are local to NYC and would like to request a space reservation, please follow the building selection and testing steps outlined the access protocol carefully, and schedule a technician consultation using the link below. During your consultation, the technician will speak with you about your project, direct you to the best resources to support your work, and assist you in requesting your space reservation at getspace.newschool.edu.
If you are not local and need remote help, you may schedule a technician consultation for advice regarding off-campus making-based projects.
About the Fiber Arts & Dye Lab
The weaving and dye lab supports the Parsons community in exploring various weaving, felting, natural dyeing, textile and fiber arts techniques.
Available for the 20/21 academic year:
On-campus use only:
- Umbrella swift and ball winder
- Industrial felting loom
- Carding Station
- Eight 4-harness Schacht floor looms (for students with prior weaving experience)
- Two 8-harness Macombers floor looms (for students with advanced weaving experience)
- Warping reel, Warping boards, and bobbin winder
- Stainless Steel Work tables
- Industrial Vacuum Ironing station
- 2- Heat presses
- Sentry Ductless Fume Hood (for particulates)
- Induction Burners
- Dye pots (various sizes)
- Various wet processes small tools
- Plastic buckets for temporary 1-week storage of dyes
Available to check out for up to 7 days:
- carding paddles
- drop spindles
- mini frame looms w/ tapestry tools (for sampling)
- embroidery hoops
- crochet hooks
- knitting needles
Required Dust Mask
Required Eye Protection